There have been a host of smash and grab incidents of late, and even more serious acts of violence in 2018. It begs the question of whether jewelers are as security conscious as they should be. Every year, fellow tradespeople are injured or killed as a result of mistakes made during a robbery. Sometimes it is inescapable, but often it is a matter of being alert and ultra-conscious of your surroundings and any suspicious activity around you or your store.
Let’s face it, you come to work every day as a pattern of life and it is easy to think that your job is as normal as anyone else’s. But it isn’t. You are a jeweler working in an industry of very high-value products that can attract a criminal element unlike most any other trade. You need to have security on your mind all the time.
Here are some questions to ponder:
- Do you vary your travel pattern to and from work on a regular basis?
- Have you trained your staff on proper security procedures?
- Do you review these procedures with them on a regular basis?
- Are you a member of the Jewelers’ Security Alliance (JSA)?
- If a member, do you review their recommendations and alerts as a normal course of action and share them with staff members?
- Are you aware of incidents and criminal activities in other stores in your region?
- Are you part of a network of other jewelers who can alert you to possible criminal activity nearby?
- Do you carry a firearm or have one in your store? The JSA recommends against such use.
- Are you aware of the very real dangers, especially upon opening and closing the store?
- Would a buzz-in system or security presence be advisable?
These and many other security questions are worth considering. We are fortunate to work in a wonderful industry where we sell beautiful products to happy people on special occasions. But we also work in the face of potential danger every day. Mindfulness about security isn’t just a good idea. It’s vital to the health and well-being of your entire staff. Make security a priority for everyone—just as the jewelry at your store is precious to you, how much more precious is human life?
View this brief video testimonial here.