Founded in Trenton, New Jersey, Hamilton Jewelers was established in 1912. Irving Siegel, a former errand boy for a similar store, purchased the firm on September 11, 1927 for $15,750 in notes payable to the former owners. He stocked the simplest of items such as silver dresser sets and cigarette lighters to finery ranging from diamonds to pocket watches, all in a small storefront at 122 South Broad Street. Siegel, or “Mr. Irving,” as he was known, began with one other employee – his wife Alice. Together, they built a modest business, working every day through the depression to establish themselves in the community.